Chord Tone Ninja: 1 Chord Type, All Keys, in 1 Position
This is the next level, continuation of last week’s blog Chord Tone Ninja Master Part 1.
Read and practice the information in last week’s blog first, before attempting today’s lesson.
Last week we discussed soloing with chord tones of a given chord, only covering a 4-fret range with your fingers, and doing this in all 12 positions.
Instead of 1 chord through all 12 positions, you can also go through all 12 keys/chords staying in 1 position.
Here’s the explanation of that drill:
- Pick any chord type, for example, dominant 7 chords
- Pick a position on the guitar neck. For example, 1st position, which is the first 4 frets. Don’t reach outside of these 4 frets.
- Start with C7.
- Figure out the notes. The notes of a C7 chord are C E G Bb.
- Find those notes in the 1st position.
- Solo with those notes of a C7 chord that chosen position.
- Do this for a minute.
- After a minute, move on to the next key. Go up the circle of 4ths. Moving up a 4th from C, the next chord is F7. Solo with the notes of an F7 chord.
- After a minute, move on to the Bb7 chord, then Eb7, etc.
- You could do this for 1 minute per key/chord = 12min drill. You could also do the 96 bar drill. It’s a backing track that is 96 bars long, going through all 12 keys, moving up the circle of 4ths every 8 bars.
- You could do a different position every day, finishing all keys in all positions every 12 days. Day 1 = first 4 frets, day 2 frets 2345, day 3 frets 3456 etc.
Hit me up anytime at email@example.com if you have any questions, or if you would like to book a lesson.
These free lessons are cool, but you will never experience the progress, joy, and results that my students experience in lessons when you’re learning by yourself from blogs and videos.
That is why people take lessons: way better results and progress, much more complete information, exposed to way more creative ideas than you can get from a blog or YouTube video.
There is only so much that self-study can accomplish.
If you want to see amazing results and progress in your guitar playing, buy your first lesson here and get started ASAP.
You’ll impress your friends and loved ones in no time with your guitar playing!
Consider donating any small amount to help me keep this blog going.
Thank you for your support!